Tuesday, May 10, 2022

16th Annual Poetry Contest Winner & Entries

This year marked WCCOA's 16th Annual Poetry Contest. Twenty poems on the theme of "Coming of Age" were submitted by fifteen Wood County residents 50 years of age and older. In this blog post, you will find the announcement and picture of this year's winner and all of the poems that were submitted. Thank you to all who participated this year!


Congratulations to our 16th Annual Poetry Contest Winner, Carol Kinsey of Bowling Green! 


A note from our judge, a BGSU Professor in the Writing Department, on the winning poem: 

"The poet turns to their garden, a place of meditation for many, and, specifically, to their Black-eyed Susans – a flower known to excel in the second half of the growing season – as a source of contemplation and imagination. Across the lines of this prose poem, the writer uses the observable traits of this flower – its vigorous spread from small starts, its gradual decline, its scattering of seeds into the future – as a catalyst for reflecting on the cyclical nature of a garden and of a life. Might our own lives be perennial? How might we live on – what seeds might we scatter – once the bloom is off our own Black-eyed Susan? The poet, like each of us, can’t be sure: “I will be gone. Or will I?” But taking inspiration from the natural world, they are willing to imagine and hope for the possibility of returning to come of age in future seasons."


WINNING POEM!
Going to Seed
By Carol Kinsey 

It’s the end of September. The Black-eyed Susans (my favorite) are waning. The flowers are wilting on the stem. Becoming less yellow-vibrant, the petals less plump. Drooping. Drying up.
I planted these from several small starts years ago, wanting a little splash of color. Now they have spread, taken over the small space I envisioned for them. They have gloriously asserted themselves to be the center of attention. I love them. I await their blooms in mid-July, I then cut their offerings to place in little vases on the deck and in the kitchen. They make me smile; they are a touch of homey yellowness like nothing else.
Now it’s the end of September. Time to cut back the spent blooms and stems. They are beyond their prime. The flower heads drop dried seeds onto the ground as I cut. Cut them back to rest for the winter and come again new year full and bright. This is the way, nature’s way.
I think of myself. I am older. Going to seed is nature’s way. But, I will not drop dried seeds of myself onto the ground of the future, not be coming back full and bright again. I will be gone.
Or will I? Perhaps seeds of myself in thoughts, memories, traits we re-emerge in those I’ve left behind will come back around as evidence that I was here. What a lovely thought.
Going to hold onto that, especially when nights are long and a little lonely.



HONORABLE MENTION POEM!
Coming of Age
By Liliana G. Rossi

She can feed herself, walk around
Climb the furniture;
She is one year old.
She is coming of age.
He can write his name,
Have an intelligent discourse,
He is four years old,
He is coming of age.
He can read simple books,
Can earn his own money with chores,
He is seven years old.
He is coming of age.
He got married, 
Got his brand-new professional license,
He is twenty-nine years old,
He is coming of age.
I am seventy-two years old,
What steps are left for me?
What does coming of age look like for me?
Grieve my firstborn who left me too soon?
Celebrate those still in my life?
Spoil my grandchildren for as long as I can?
Pretend that I am still in my life?
Shots in the dark…
Glimpses of reality…
A life that used to be…


Feeling Content
By Willis Beck

I’m feeling content at the age that I am in;
I recall all my years and the places I’ve been.
Can’t live in the past or retrace the road; 
But be thankful for health and a lighter load.
I’m proud to have come as far as I could;
I wish for my loved ones a brighter world. 
I won’t leave a marker of where I have been;
I’ll only tell stories of what I have seen. 



Of A Certain Age
By Willis Beck

So, you’ve reached a certain age and you think that you are done:
Well, I’m sorry friend, but you’ve only just begun. 
Reset your clocks, turn your calendar page;
It all moves forward past retirement age. 
You can change your goals and maybe your turf;
All things are possible on God’s green earth.
Do what you wish to alter your plan,
You’re your own boss, woman or man. 
There may be setbacks along the way, 
Remember that tomorrow is another day.
Remember the past but push ever ahead;
You’ll reach your goals without any dread.



Coming of Age
By Steven Peake

There hung a blue mist from the fields.
I awoke from sleep to find my lists at my feet.
Seems like so many days are behind, maturity sets in the mind. 
Ah! Yesterday’s views seem so far. Those times of kids in the car,
Traveling so many miles, to put on children’s smiles. 
For parties, and practice, football or soccer, at times someone forgot
an important item in their locker!
Just when things seem alright, I have to break up a fight!
Then it’s a dance or the prom or someone lets off a bomb!
A firecracker, I know, but causes me to blow!
So another week or year passes by, and I can’t understand why?
The house seems so bare, and no one is there.
Looking around, no toys on the ground and stillness 
sits coldly at home.
Oh well! May just as well shout out a sound!
The mist still lurks off the ground. 



Coming of Age
By Steven Peake

Sitting in my boxer shorts, looking at the mirror
Wondering if I really know what day or month or year?
It seems to me what scares me most is who I see, myself or ghost?
Much thought of great accomplishments, of degrees and status quo.
The maturity of life, apart from strife, is empty don’t you know!
Thinking of my loves and hates, what matters most when at the gates?
When outcomes to this point of golden years and finding self in tears.
I raise my coffee cup, and push down the toaster knob, ready with a glob of jam. 
Being grateful for who I am. 



Our Fiftieth (Wedding) Anniversary Celebration
By Rick and Luella Smith 

Moments like this fill us with joy 
And are meant for us to share. 
Moments like this stand out 
Since their occurrence is rare.
Moments like this will never be lost.
They will remain in our hearts.
These moments are for remembering,
And from them, we’ll never part. 



My Sweet Angels on Earth
By Michelle Malik

Wow! At first sight of those wee-tiny fingers and toes,
My heart filled with joy!
My sweet little angels on earth; my grandkids.
Kisses and hugs that seem to never stop coming. 
“I love you grandma and grandpa.” “Do you love me too?”
My heart filled with warmth!
My sweet young angels on earth; my grandkids.
I heard; “I fell down.” “My boo-boo hurts.” “I need a kiss.”
My heart melted. I was a puddle of compassion at their feet. 
My fast-growing angels on earth; my grandkids.
Grade school and teen years are overloaded with sports and dating.
“College is hard.” “He broke my heart.” “My friends have moved away.”
“I know you will always love me and listen, grandma and grandpa.” “I am sad.” “You are always there with a strong shoulder.” “I love you both very much.”
My heart fills with tenderness and warmth. 
My sweet mature angels on earth have grown up;
My grandkids.



Fishing
By Donald F. Czerniak

I fished the Atlantic Ocean.
I fished the Pacific Ocean.
I fished Lake Erie.
I fished small lakes.
I fished creeks everywhere near
While I lived in Ohio.
I fished for women all over
The vast United States, 
But I never hooked any. 
Maybe because I didn’t use the right bait--- 
a good line of bologna.
I was always successful in fishing
For water-dwelling animals.
I caught more than my share of them. 
But the two-legged ones evaded my hooks forever,
Except one. 
She became my wife. 



A Woman
By Donald F. Czerniak

“You’ve got a crooked nose,” she said.
“I know it.”
“You’ve got a potbelly.”
“I know it.”
“Your left eye is half-closed.”
“I know it.”
“Your hair’s totally gray.”
“I know it.”
“You’re much too old.”
“I know it.”
“Your right eye looks funny.”
“I know it.”
“What I’m looking for is a perfect man.”
“Why don’t you go into a convent.” 
“Smartass!”
I walked away from the hussy. 



Exploring Facets
By Rosemary E. Yanik

Coming of Age –
What does it mean?
To us?
To others?
To the world?
Have we arrived?
Do we know it all?
Do we understand our purpose?
Are we now in control?
Have we attained status?
Does it matter?
Do we have the right to make the rules?
Break the rules?
May we go our own way?
Believe what we want to?
Do we give up,
Give in, or
Go beyond?
Do we understand our gifts, our talents,
And use them wisely?
Do we realize how we should treat others?
Everyone?
Do we discern our path and 
Create a loving legacy?
Do we show compassion, forgive, comfort, and 
Live in grace?
Coming of age,
The wonder,
The spirit,
The celebration,
The journey,
The dream,
The hope,
The inspiration,
The joy of being.



Kaleidoscope of Being
By Rosemary E. Yanik

Coming of age
No matter what age our birthday makes us,
We are always coming of age-
A kaleidoscope of years.
Coming of age –
When within us a smile breaks through,
When a heart song carries us,
And we think outside ourselves.
Coming of age –
Seeing the beauty all around us,
Recognizing the good in ourselves and others
Using our gifts and talents to make a difference.
Coming of age –
Being self-sufficient, and independent, but caring;
Being bold but not forceful,
Loving ourselves and others when we least deserve it.
Coming of age –
Honoring our creative spirit 
Sharing our best beliefs and values,
Spending happy, quality time with loved ones.
Coming of age 
A kaleidoscope of years,
The when, the where,
The why, the how, the who.



I Lost A Friend Today

By Nancy Jones

I lost a friend today, and she is in my every thought.
Her friendship was so special, I feel only pain and naught.
My heart seems so very heavy, and my every breath is weak,
As I contemplate a life without her in a world so incomplete.
I viewed a photo of my friend, and saw the vibrant spirit,
I will never see again.
Her spirit seemed to mock me as it leaped right off the page,
Yet, quivered very brightly in thoughts of seeing me again.
Her face was bright with smiles, that always brought such cheer.
It illuminated the inner strength she possessed throughout the year.
The photo captured in the moment the friend I held so dear.
The essence of her being can never be erased,
As again I hear her untamed laughter vibrate through my space.
Her eyes, they snapped and sparkled and dared me to think once more,
Of the precious friend in heaven whose spirit will live forever more. 



Weather Report
By Gary Saunders

A winter storm is coming,
All are agreed…
This one’s not a guess- It’s coming for sure.
Making preparations…
To live without power,
With limited supplies.
Moving around will be a struggle;
Good neighbors will be a treasure;
And staying in touch with loved ones will be the spiritual lifeline.
And yet (those words of grace!)
There will be beauty,
Moments of awe and wonder,
For this is the world of nature;
And wonder – yes, delight! –
Is the nature of it.
And in this great mysterious unfolding,
Love will prevail.
So, fear not, my soul.
Yes, the storm is coming, as it must.
May I await it with a heart
Grateful for a life of blessings 
And trusting of peace at the last. 



Sunday Sunrise
By Gary Saunders

The sun prepares to make its appearance.
The rays are already bathing in the world, washing away the darkness.
I think of my loved ones, scattered, yet in their beds.
What treasures they are…
With Your dawn, wash them of the grime which life and living bring.
Scrub them with cleansing light,
That they may wake to this new day, this great opportunity,
With clean hearts and minds,
With energy, and delight, and good purposes.
Welcome, morning light. 
Do your stuff. 



Coming of Age
By Dorothy Ellis

Glancing back, I take look, my life is like a chapter book. 
As one chapter of my life unfolds, another awaits with wonders untold. 
So, let’s start at the beginning. Can you see me grinning? My head is really spinning!
How did time go so fast? My memory is failing, yet my mind keeps unveiling,
More reflections I’ve witnessed from my past. 
The chapter of my youth held such freedom and joy with most of my needs being met.
Simple fun was the mantra of the day. Playing hopscotch and skating till the sun had set.
Before I knew, I was a teen and thought I knew it all.
I met a boy and soon we wed. Our love I still recall.
We’ve been married for fifty-six years; shared seasons of love and reasons for tears.
We’ve had four lovely children and eight grandkids as well. 
Memories of precious times still make our hearts swell. 
What a decade was the 60s with memories galore. 
Looking back who could imagine what our nation had in store.
We lost a beloved president; a tragedy it’s true.
Still, God unfolds our history the way he’s meant to do.
As decades flew by, all became new for me to be a part of.
The first man on the moon, computers, cell phones, and 9/11, that broke our hearts.
My heart has been yearning for simpler days. So far, they’re nowhere in sight. 
Yet, at the start of each day, I continue to pray for God’s guidance in which I take delight. 
If coming of age means turning a page in my chapter book; who knows what’s in store?
Do I dare take a look at another page in this book? Yes, I pray that I will have more.
As I’ve come to this age, I’m reminded of a choice that each of us can make;
To look for the good as we travel with each other on this journey we all must partake. 


Time to Sound the Gong
By Martha (Marty) Hogle 

Where is the music, where is the song
What is the difference between right and wrong
When do we continue to fight, or sound the gong
When do we shake hands instead of a fist
When will kind words top the list
Will love and acceptance return again someday
Or will we continue to fight and kill, is this our way
Have we lost the method to make friends and trust 
And will these hate-filled acts continue to follow us
Can we cease to act in these moments of rage
Or can we finally admit we are coming of age
An age to inspire and not react with fire
It is time to bring kindness back in style 
Put an end to rude killing acts so vile
Put our childish behavior and tantrums aside
Grow up from within let the kindness in your heart swell with pride
Let’s start tomorrow with a giving heart filled with love
As we practice our lesson learned from above
We are blessed with the fact, we are “coming of age”



Another Chance
By Martha (Marty) Hogle

Absence doesn’t make the heart grow fonder
It only creates lonely hours to ponder 
Where have these precious moments gone, I wonder
They have fleeted by like the roaring thunder
Time in the past I can not recover
So close that book, it was only a cover
What memories remain are scraps of a page
Lights are dimming on our life’s stage 
Grab what is left, open up your cage
No more time for turmoil or rage 
The stage is now set you must engage 
You have waited forever it’s called “coming of age”
If you think this is the end you are so wrong
A new life begins today, you must come along 
Flip open the page, open your cage, go on that stage
It’s another chance to be “coming of age”



A Song Inside
By Barbara Gould

I knew there was a song inside. 
I heard the songs of love and loving;
They were of good, bad, and real;
Some were nonsense and fantasy;
Some were happy and some were sad.
I found that I was crying from the sad songs.
Looking under rocks as I went about my daily work,
One more time, I asked: Am I singing happy or sad?
I stopped my crazy world and finally I realized 
My song is a happy tune, and I don’t cry
When I hear love songs anymore.



Midnight and Jeopardy
By Nancy Wikoff Leetch

There was a black cat named Midnight,
She liked to watch Jeopardy!
With Nancy at night on the “tube”
She studied Lepidoptery!
Now Mid is seventeen,
(Over one hundred in human years)!
And loved to be held on my lap for a nap –
A Doyenne without tears.
Jeopardy meant “almost bedtime”
Water and food for the night;
And loud crimson PJs for Nancy 
And meowing as if in a fright?
One more event you must know;
On Tractor Pull Weekend years ago
Mid was “dropped off” on our street,
We took her in so sweet,
A little black ball of fur to add
To our life, who needed a Cat-less Home,
Never more to roam!


No comments:

Post a Comment